Tuesday 27 September 2011

Garlic & Herb Dough Balls (gluten free version)

Two words....Pizza Express.  Then another two.... Dough Balls.

Heaven in my mouth.

I decided to try and re-create my own version, using the remainder of my Bob's Red Mill gluten free flour.


Garlic & Herb Dough Balls


makes approx. 30 balls dependent on size


450g/4 cups flour  - I used Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free
1tsp easy dried yeast
1tsp sea salt
1tsp dried parsley
1tsp dried oregano
1tsp garlic flakes (powder would work too)
Pinch chilli flakes
1.5tbsp xanthan gum (eliminate if not using gluten free flour)
1tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for greasing
enough warm water to make a firm dough

Preheat oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
Sift flour into mixing bowl, stir in yeast, dried herbs and salt.  Make a well in the centre.
Add oil and enough warm water to make a firm dough.
Tip dough onto a floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes. As this is gluten free flour, the texture is slightly different to that of traditional bread flour.
Rub some oil onto the ball of dough, transfer to clean bowl, cover and leave for about an hour - again as it's gluten free flour, you won't see the same rise as traditional dough.  However, it is best to leave it to rest for the same time.
Divide dough into balls and line on parchment paper on a baking tray.
Place in the centre of the oven and bake for approx. 15-20 minutes.

Serve warm with a garlic dip, salsa or hummus.


The herbs and garlic were delicious, but you could adapt to suit taste.  I think next time I'll add some more chilli flakes for a bit of a kick.


I'm hoping to make a trip to London this week whilst I'm off work and hit up Whole Foods.  I can't wait to go. Rachel from Rachel's Delicious Journey went not so long ago, taking some fabulous pictures whilst she was there.  I'm dying to try a smoothie and hopefully pick up some new goodies too, including make-your-own nut butter!

Nut butter heaven.

Tomorrow I have a gorgeous End of Summer Orzo recipe.


1 comment:

  1. Exciting about Whole foods :)
    Those dough balls look lovely- I sometimes make my own (not gluten free though) and they are always yummy :)

    ReplyDelete